Re: Can't make xconfig on 2.4.* series kernels

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 04:16, THE CROW wrote:
> I've tried a lot of time to give the command:
>
> #make xconfig
>
> first with the 2.4.14 kernel and then with the 2.4.16 one.
> The output I received has been always the following:
>
> # make xconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> ( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
> make -C scripts kconfig.tk
> make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
> cat header.tk >> ./kconfig.tk
> ./tkparse < ../arch/i386/config.in >> kconfig.tk
> echo "set defaults \"arch/i386/defconfig\"" >> kconfig.tk
> echo "set ARCH \"i386\"" >> kconfig.tk
> cat tail.tk >> kconfig.tk
> chmod 755 kconfig.tk
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/scripts'
> wish -f scripts/kconfig.tk
> Application initialization failed: unknown color name "Black"
> Error in startup script: can't invoke "button" command:  application has
> been destroyed
>     while executing
>     "button .ref"
>         (file "scripts/kconfig.tk" line 51)
>  make: *** [xconfig] Error 1
>
> Unfortunately I only found a message on a public forum like this on this
> problem; it seems a tcl/tk problem but I'm totally ignorant on this
> language:( Anyone could help me ?

Not the solution you're looking for but ... Have you installed the
ncurses5-dev package and ran a make menuconfig?

It looks like tk is having problems with colors from your error
message.  Perhaps your rgb.txt file from your X installation is somehow
the source of the problem.  Perhaps addind "Black" in addition to
"black" will allow you to continue with xconfig.

--mike