Re: Does anyone know a good X windows documentation

on Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 12:26:09PM -0500, dman (dsh8290@rit.edu) wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 08, 2001 at 02:46:10AM +0100, der der wrote:
> | the differences between the different window managers...
>
> Karsten menitoned GNOME and KDE.  I'd like to point out that GNOME and
> KDE are not window managers, but rather desktop environments.

Technically true, though the distinction is lost on many, particularly
newbies.

KDE offers a default, kwm, but will allow substitution of other WMs.

Under GNOME, Sawfish is most commonly used, though other window managers
can be substituted.

The general list of KDE/GNOME "aware" window managers is kwm,
WindowMaker, Enlightenment, Sawfish, blackbox, and icewm.  Other
windowmanagers may be used, though functionality may be lacking.

As dman said, Sawfish is probably the most GNOME-friendly of the bunch,
though the point is, you've got a choice.  The general problem is
identifying which functions are provided by which component.

Peace.