Re: program balks at 3.9GB file

wrote:
> > lav2wav +p /xb/base/input-20011207-1948.avi | mp2enc -o audio.mp2
> >    INFO: Norm set to PAL
> > **ERROR: Error opening /xb/base/input-20011207-1948.avi: File too
> > large **ERROR: EOF in WAV header
> > **ERROR: failure reading WAV file
> >
> > The program comes from a package which claims to have large file
> > support, which I enabled at compilation:
> >
> > mjpegtools-1.5-20011611$ ./configure --help | grep large
> >   --disable-large-file,             disable large file support
> > (>2GB)
> >
> > My question: is it the OS or the program's fault? If it means
> > anything, other programs (all encoders) return a more generic
> > "Could not open" error message. What puzzles me is that I was able
> > to create the file thru another program (xawtv's streamer).
> >
> > I'm running kernel 2.4.16 with libc6 (2.2.4-5). What do I need to
> > do to eliminate this error? Any tips appreciated. The multi-GB file
> > is desperately awaiting compression.
>
> Large file support is a complex situation, not something you can just
> turn on and off.  Essentially, the problem is that all parts of the
> process chain have to support it.
>
> Not familiar with the tools you're using, but you might want to try
> doing other operations on a large file or files to see what does or
> doesn't work with it.  Is your program invoking another application
> which may not have LF support?

Let me see. I tried something like (actual bash session is now fuzzy):

mkfifo movie.avi
dd if=original-4GB-capture.avi of=movie.avi
ffmpeg [option, options] movie.avi

This lets ffmpeg encode half of the one hour and a half test movie.
Several retries convince me that it's not a random segfault. I even
diff'ed the resulting files, same tropical fruit. Since 4GB * half =
magic 2GB limit, I have the suspicion that it's either an error in the
video stream (say an EOF inserted in the middle of the file by the
capture program, streamer) or a problem with the OS.

What may be of further interest: applying ffmpeg on the raw file
(original-4GB-capture.avi) results in an error message (to the effect)
that the file can't be found.

Side question: are the GNU utilities afflicted by the 2 GB limit? Can
dd properly handle 2GB+ files.

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."