HPT370 and other errors :-(

Hi :-)

This is the problem: Installation on a mixture of Woody and sid :-(

I installed a IDE Controller Card with HPT370 chip from
http://www.highpoint-tech.com
sold as
Davicontrol DC-100 Raid

My PC: Hardware:

Bios Version:
ASUS P5A-B ACPI BIOS Revision 1010
02/24/00-ALADDIN5-PA5A-B-00

If it matters:
CPU: AMD-k6 (tm)-2/450

3 Hard Disk
one IBM-DTLA-305020 UMDA=5 20 GB
one Maxtor 2B020H1  UMDA=5 20 GB
one IBM-DTTA-351010 UMDA=2 10 GB

(those UMDA setting were suggested from the Bios of the Controller
Card)

One Phillips CD-RW

Since this Card works under Win98 and Caldera 2.4 eDesktop with a
kernel provided from Highpoint fine, I figured why should it not do so
in Debian?

Now after the installation of the Card the original Kernel ( 2.2.19)
did not boot the system anymore ( Kernel-panic) ( of course just
copying hpt370.o from the Caldera installation to Debian didn't do the
trick).

I tried to solve the problem by installing a kernel I got from:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-i386/current/udma100-ext3/
plainly called _linux_

Instead of installing it with dpkg -i ( since this Kernel did not have
the ending .deb) I just copied it into /boot/ as vmlinuz-test1 and changed
the /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect this change.

so after the reboot I got a error message that no umda100-xt3 modules
could be found and /init.d/rc.2 or so could also not be found....
I was only able to log on as root... and hit the reset-button since I
could not reboot.... argh!! :-(

so then I got me the kernel-image-2.2.19-ide

using this time the command # dpkg -i kernel-image-2.2.19.ide

there were _NO_ error messages, so I figured that it installed okay,
but to my surprise, there were again error messages, this time no
/lib/modules/2.2.19-ide can't be found, _even_ though there are
_there_ ???

Of course I am on the end of my ropes, vacation time is finished as
well, and my Debian box can't be used ( for such occasions I installed
Caldera :-))

So how can I solve this problem?  Don`t even know where to search for
the answer......

Thanks :-)
--
LinuxUser aka Josef Oswald linux.os@chello.at