[quickly veering OT] Re: File Manager

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 11:57:29AM +0100, Joachim Trinkwitz wrote:
> Both suffer from the same inability to deal with floppy drives in a
> sane way, wrt mounting/umounting (Nautilus most, cause there isn't
> even a default floppy icon on the desktop).
>
> Sorry all you Unix Wizards, but I'm dealing with many users who comes
> from the Wonderfull Windows World, and they are incurably used to use
> the floppy drive in that Worlds Way, and this is the point where the
> _greatest_ aversions against Linux are arising -- really, if this
> problem goes away for them, I bet nearly all would be satisfied with a
> desktop like GNOMEs (I don't appreciate KDE very much, but if it has a
> working solution for the floppy drive, I think I will migrate my users
> to this desktop).

Nautilus tends in most cases towards the Mac way of doing things, which,
different though it may be, is usually more usable than the Windows way.
Nautilus ideally should create a floppy icon on the desktop when a user
inserts a disk (and, in turn, destroy it when he removes the disk), which
IMHO is a more sane approach than having an always-present floppy icon that
only works if a disk is in the drive.

You may want to keep an eye on Linux Mandrake, though, as they've put a
couple of guys on to hacking up Nautilus so that it follows Windows
conventions. Or you could use KDE. Whatever :).

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau
bepempire@optusnet.com.au