Re: where is alias 'name' for USB controller module?

Thus spake Andreas Schmidt:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 04:33:09PM -0500, mikepolniak wrote:
> > I want to auto-load the module for the USB contoller (usb-ohci) by its alias in
> > /etc/modules.conf:
> > alias ????  usb-ohci
> >
> > Where do i find the alias 'name' that kmod+modprobe use to look up this feature?
>
> According to the kernel documentation (file usb-help.txt) you can
> start with the following links for information about usb:
>
> (from linux/Documentation/usb/usb-help.txt)
>
> ###
>
> usb-help.txt
> 2000-July-12
>
> For USB help other than the readme files that are located in
> linux/Documentation/usb/*, see the following:
>
> Linux-USB project:  http://www.linux-usb.org
>   mirrors at        http://www.suse.cz/development/linux-usb/
>          and        http://usb.in.tum.de/linux-usb/
>          and        http://it.linux-usb.org
> Linux USB Guide:    http://linux-usb.sourceforge.net
> Linux-USB device overview (working devices and drivers):
>                     http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/
>
> The Linux-USB mailing lists are:
>   linux-usb-users@lists.sourceforge.net   for general user help
>   linux-usb-devel@lists.sourceforge.net   for developer discussions
>
> ###
>
> I would recommend to use the Linux USB guide and FAQ at
> http://www.linux-usb.org as a starting point.
>
> Regards
> Andreas Schmidt
Also look through /usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt - it has a
list of all the devices and such with their repsective numbers.
You'll find their organized in section like:
10 char
Then a long list of devices with numbers before them.  This would
translate to char-major-10-<number>.
You can also look in your logs - there will be error messages saying
something to the effect of could not find device <blah-blah>.  That
might start you off.
HTH,
Steve
--