Re: Some advice to fix up my package database :-)

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 07:36, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Warner wrote:
> > I've been using alien for the first time today. Now I can't install any
> > package using apt-get (it might not be the alien packages but I thought
> > I should mention it).
>
> No, nothing to do with alien.
>
> >  files list file for package `libncurses5-dev' is missing final newline
>
> It's posible that your /var/lib/dpkg/info/libncurses5-dev.list file is
> corrupt. Or it could just be missing a final newline at the end of the
> file. Like the other replies, I suggest trying to reinstall it. If dpkg
> won't let you reinstall it, you might need to edit that file first, make
> sure it has a final newline (and is not corrupt; it should just list the
> files and directories that are part of the package, one per line), and
> then reinstall it.

<Cue music to the Twilight Zone>

Thanks for the advice everyone (and where to find libncurses5-dev.list).
When I turn on my computer this morning the problem was gone! Packages
just installed and upgraded like normal! Nothing to repair. I've got a
self-healing computer :-)

And I don't now how to explain it. Possible dumb explanation follows:

I have an annoying problem using NFSv3 shares. If I have NFS shares
being exported and mounted on two workstations and shut down one of the
workstations the other one will hang at shutdown trying to unmount the
shares. So I just turned my computer off and to let ReiserFS fix any
transactions at boot. Perhaps a corrupted .list file was one of those
transactions that was reverted?

Regards,
Adam