Re: DVD player

Peter Good wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 17:15, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > Video RAM is nearly irrelevant.  Anything with 2MB can do
> > 1024x768/16-bit which is what you want for DVD.
>
> This might be a silly question, but why then, do they sell video cards > now, with at least 8mb standard, with 32mb in a lot, and in my case
> 64mb? Just wondering.
>
> Peter.

The Linux kernel only requires like 4 MB of main memory, why do you
install more?

Like is said above, 2MB is required for 1024x768 @ 16bit color. Anything
more will require more RAM. The difference between 16 bit and 24 bit
color is very noticeable. On larger monitors, and higher end laptpops,
you want a res higher than 1024x768.

8MB is all that is needed for simple 2D stuff. If you want to do
anything fancy (dual-head display, 3D accelleration, etc.) you need more
memory. This is particularly useful in 3D accelleration as in order to
render a scene, all the textures must be loaded into video memory. Also,
more video RAM means effects in 2D like double and triple buffering can
work.

In short, the more RAM, the more stuff you can do.

--Aaron