Re: (Suggestion) A centralized Nameserver for users to use resolv.conf

* shyamk@eth.net <shyamk@eth.net> [2001.12.05 20:53:44+0530]:
> Why don't we have a 'centralised' Nameserver  , that
> will do the IP-to-name-resolution for  the browsers
> of all the Linux users  .

would you provide that nameserver, which can handle the load as well
as the bandwidth volume? i'd even administer it ;)

> Our /etc/resolv.conf  files can then mention the IP Address
> of this 'centralised' Nameserver , that does the resolution for us .

as much of a good idea this is (i do think so), it defeats the
decentralized nature of dns. the purpose is *not* to load one single
server with all requests, but to employ the hierarchical caches in the
nameservers so as to reduce load on the bigger ones.

moreover, i would say that the largest percentage of debian users is
on a dial-up, pppoe over cable or dsl, or within a company that
provides its own nameservers (and possibly blocks port 53 at the
firewall). in all these cases, the nameserver entries are provided by
pppd or dhclient. it's really just a small percentage of users that
connect to the net statically. and whoever is smart/desperate enough
to have a static connection will most likely be able to handle
/etc/resolv.conf

> Ours is a mission to take off the last lines of difference
> between "OUR" OS and that of Microsoft.

and how does a centralized nameserver provide this?

chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent, reboot.
order shall return.