Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 02:21:07PM +0100, Mathias Gygax wrote:
> On Son, Dez 02, 2001 at 08:47:41 +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
>
> Don't forget to protect lidsadm binary. This is the interface for
> supplying a password to deactivate the features in the kernel.
> The password can't be cracked directly (brute force or either) because
> of a trojaned lidsadm binary. But they [the attackers] could intercept
> the password with a trojaned interface.
>
> > Prior to doing this though, I am going to re-write my iptables firewall
> > to include NAT (masquerading) for my internal LAN and install libsafe.
>
> Give the openwall non-exex-stack patch a thrill. Many buffer-overflows
> (yet not every flavour is protected) will not work any more. Libsafe IIRC is
> good for the format string vulns, but if you can, protect it in the
> kernel.
>
> Fefe did a start on writting diet libc for a better protected libc:
> http://www.fefe.de/dietlibc/

I am just a little confused now on the libsafe / openwall / dietlibc
stuff.  Is it recommended to do all 3?  From what I can see, there
doesn't seem to be an openwall patch yet for 2.4 kernels and dietlibc
seems to be providing a cut-down libc to create smaller binaries by
statically linking etc.

I was just going to install libsafe and LIDS.  Are you recommending
more?

When you mentioned that you were going to set up a computer with LIDS
and hand-out root passwords to everybody for a challenge to try and
crack it;  What will you have installed on this computer?  Will it be
LIDS and libsafe for the protection or more?

Thanks
Mark.