Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:32:06PM +0100, Mathias Gygax wrote:
> On Sam, Dez 01, 2001 at 03:32:51 +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > Is it easy to get rid of it, if it causes me more trouble than it is
> > worth?
>
> run an unpatched kernel, disable it with kernel option "security=0"
> (e.g. lilo boot option) or disable it on runtime with
> "lidsadm -S -- -LIDS_GLOBAL" (replace - by + to reactivate it)
>
> > What I mean is: If I have trouble and decide that I don't want
> > LIDS anymore, can I boot into single user mode with LIDS deactivated and
> > then reinstall a previous kernel without LIDS?
>
> sure you can. replace the kernel and /etc/lids and the whole thing's
> gone.
>
> > For example: If I make a boot floppy with a kernel without LIDS, can I
> > just boot from this and everything will run as it was before I
> > installed LIDS?
>
> yes, it will. no daemon or anything else on the storage media get
> changed. the only thing on the storage is /etc/lids with default
> capabilities (lids.cap), LIDS password (lids.pw), remote alert
> configuration (lids.net) and the LIDS configuration file (lids.conf).

You have really inspired me to give this a go.  It sounds as though I
have nothing to lose except time.  And in my opinion this may be time
well spent as at least I will learn much about the root daemons.

Prior to doing this though, I am going to re-write my iptables firewall
to include NAT (masquerading) for my internal LAN and install libsafe.
Then after setting up a DNS server on this box and squid, I will give
LIDS a go.

So I guess I have a bit of work to do first.  And lots of learning :-)

Thanks for all the time you have put into educating me.  Much
appreciated.

Regards.
Mark.