Re: Newbie question : gnome, bash, and ppp

Hi,
thanks for your tips, all of them worked except for the dialing out part. I have included the non-root user to the 'dialout' group as you mentioned (I double check by checking /etc/group) but the problem remains the same: there's a flash on the modem and that's it.

The other thing is sawmill. I have raised the problem of not being able to get sawmill to work (select sawmill from list of windowmanagers but nothing happened) and you have replied to this. But I can't find your reply in my inbox, perhaps I have deleted it inadvertently. Could you let me have the solution again. Sorry for the inconvenience.

    And I heed your advice to have a more informative subject title [;-)] .

GZ

dman wrote:

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 08:55:12AM -0800, gong zeng wrote:
| Hi,
| I have the following queries:

No problem, but a more informative subject line is a good idea.

| 1. How do I make the gnome panel startup with X
| windows?  I can't seem to find such an option.

How do you start X?  Do you use [gxk]dm or login and type startx?

In either case, putting 'gnome-session' into ~/.xsession should
suffice.

| Also, the menu item "log out" in the panel only kills the
| panel.  Shouldn't it allow me to exit X?

It should not kill the X server if the X server was started
independently.

The way X starts is it runs ~/.xsession.  ~/.xsession is just a shell
script that will run the programs you want run at startup.  The last
one (your window manager, or 'gnome-session' in your case) should be
run in the foreground.  When that program terminates the X server
terminates (because it sees no reason to run anymore).

When you start X with 'gnome-session' in .xsession, doing a logout
from the panel will actually quit X (because it makes gnome-session
terminate).

| 2. Possible to maximize a window to the edge of the
| panel?  Right now, the bottom boundary of the
| maximized window is hidden behind the panel.

In the control center, under "panel" in the "misc" tab there is a
setting for whether you want the panel below, even, or above other
windows.  This only works for gnome-compliant window managers though.
(I use sawfish).

| 3. The gnome-terminal prompt shows "bash-2.03#" no
| matter which directory I'm in.  How do I make it
| reflect the prompt I use in the bash shell; it shows
| the directory I'm in.

This is a bash issue, not gnome-terminal.

In your ~/.bashrc put

export PS1="
(\w)
`whoami`@$HOST [\!]$ "

you can customize this to be whatever you want.

| 4. How do I allow non-root user to dial to ISP through
| pon?  So far, I was only able to dial out as root;
| pppd already setuid; so what am I missing here?

Add the user(s) you want to be able to dial out to the 'dialout'
group.

| I'm using potato 2.2r4.  Thanks in advance.

In that case, pick 'sawmill' as the window manager.  The name has
since changed due to legal issues.

-D