Newbie question

Hi,
I have the following queries:

1. How do I make the gnome panel startup with X
windows?  I can't seem to find such an option. Also,
the menu item "log out" in the panel only kills the
panel.  Shouldn't it allow me to exit X?

2. Possible to maximize a window to the edge of the
panel?  Right now, the bottom boundary of the
maximized window is hidden behind the panel.

3. The gnome-terminal prompt shows "bash-2.03#" no
matter which directory I'm in.  How do I make it
reflect the prompt I use in the bash shell; it shows
the directory I'm in.

4. How do I allow non-root user to dial to ISP through
pon?  So far, I was only able to dial out as root;
pppd already setuid; so what am I missing here?

I'm using potato 2.2r4.  Thanks in advance.

TH