Re: global environment variables?

dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 04:30:11PM -0800, Craig Dickson wrote:
> | dman wrote:
> |
> | > What Nemo and I are looking for is a way to set the environment for
> | > apps run via the panel (that don't have a login shell).
> |
> | What process starts the panel?
>
> gnome-session
>
> | Isn't there a login shell somewhere at the root of all the processes
> | that get started for you at login time? I
>
> yes, ~/.xsession

No, if you are running gdm and GNOME then it's ~/.gnomerc -- this is
the right file for your personal setup like environment variables. But
wait, there is an option in the gdm GUI menu to choose something other
than a gnome session (which is the default), called 'Debian', which
will let you use the .xsession file.

Greetings,
joachim