Re: t0rn v8

Stephen Gran wrote:-

> Sorry, bad form to have to reply rather than include the info in th
> original message, but hindsight and all that.  A few things I have
> done to try to see if t0rn is in fact present:
> lsof|grep LISTEN:
> portmap    273      root    4u  IPv4        303               TCP *:sunrpc (LISTEN)
> rpc.statd  277      root    5u  IPv4        418               TCP *:32768 (LISTEN)
> inetd      286      root    6u  IPv4        424               TCP *:smtp (LISTEN)
> inetd      286      root    7u  IPv4        425               TCP *:auth (LISTEN)
> cupsd      289      root    0u  IPv4        692               TCP *:ipp (LISTEN)
> sshd       306      root    3u  IPv4        566               TCP *:ssh (LISTEN)
> Sorry about the bad wrap ; )
>
> and lsof|grep -i t0rn:
> No results.
>
> nmap localhost:
> Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
> Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
> (The 1544 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
> Port       State       Service
> 22/tcp     open        ssh
> 25/tcp     open        smtp
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 113/tcp    open        auth
> 631/tcp    open        cups

But what about to external hosts?  Are they open or closed by your
firewall?

I'd be particularly concerned about sunrps and cups, and only allow
access to and from specific IP addresses.  If they are visible
externally, you should investigate further.  If you don't already, I'd
suggest you run one of those scripts that filters and mails your logs
to you every 1 hour or so.  Reducing the background noise from
legitimate stuff is the most tedious thing there though.

For my machine I have:

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
(The 1540 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
13/tcp     open        daytime
22/tcp     open        ssh
25/tcp     open        smtp
37/tcp     open        time
110/tcp    open        pop-3
139/tcp    open        netbios-ssn
631/tcp    open        cups
2401/tcp   open        cvspserver
22273/tcp  open        wnn6

but only SSH and SMTP are visible outside my LAN (as verified by
various firewall testing web sites).

Neil.