Re: Installing woody

On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 03:17:41AM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 10:28:40PM +1300, Michael Jager
> (mjager@mac.com) wrote:
> > How do you people install this? I have tried using potato floppies then
> > changing apt sources, and downloading woody floppies and then I get a
> > malformed release file error?
>
> You're apparently having problems with a program or system configuration
> issue, but you've provided far from enough information to be able to
> adequately address or resolve the issue.

Not true, as it happens, if you've been following debian-boot, in which
case the words "malformed release file" raise a big red flag. There's a
bug currently filed against boot-floppies about this (#121724). I'm not
a boot guru, but my impression from the various threads about this is
that there's a bug in debootstrap whereby, if you give it the wrong URL
for the archive - perhaps a broken mirror - on the first attempt, it'll
never redownload it.

Unfortunately the only way to work around this at the moment, as far as
I know, is to get the archive URL right on the first attempt. Making
sure that $URL/dists/woody/Release exists before you do the installation
is a good start. If you get it wrong you have to start again and
reformat the filesystem when the installer offers that to you. Naturally
I hope and imagine that this'll be fixed before release.

This could all be wrong, incidentally: I'm just collating what I've
heard and passing it on. If it turns out to be something else, please
follow up so that the list archives aren't too misleading.