Re: New bash and tab completion

/ Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com> was heard to say:
| Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:
| > Is there a setting to "fix" this behavior?
|
| I don't know if there is a way to revert back to the old behavior, but
| this change is mentioned in /usr/share/doc/bash/changelog.gz:
|
| c.  The completion code no longer appends a `/' or ` ' to a match when
|     completing a symbolic link that resolves to a directory name, unless
|     the match does not add anything to the word being completed.  This
|     means that a tab will complete the word up to the full name, but not
|     add anything, and a subsequent tab will add a slash.

Well, I figured out how to get the old behavior back :-)

YMMV, Caveat user, etc.

I also fired a note off to the bash maintainer. I'll pass along
anything I find out.

*** lib/readline/complete.c~    Mon Oct 15 14:31:41 2001
--- lib/readline/complete.c     Fri Nov 30 16:12:30 2001
***************
*** 1191,1195 ****
        else if (s == 0 && S_ISLNK (finfo.st_mode) &&
               stat (filename, &finfo) == 0 && S_ISDIR (finfo.st_mode))
!       ;
  #endif
        else
--- 1191,1195 ----
        else if (s == 0 && S_ISLNK (finfo.st_mode) &&
               stat (filename, &finfo) == 0 && S_ISDIR (finfo.st_mode))
!       rl_insert_text ("/");
  #endif
        else

                                        Be seeing you,