Re: free/open documentation formats

on Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 01:03:46AM +0100, Timo Boewing (blazko@online.de) wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> for some future and current works i want to provide my writings
> additionally in other formats than xhtml. Has anyone a link to a list
> of free documentation formats? The problem is that i want to avoid
> using formats on that evtl. patents are pending.  for example, i would
> like to provide my stuff using portable document format (pdf) and
> postscript (ps), but i am not shure if the formats as such are free
> cos adobe has a trademark on them.
>
> any hints?

There are authoring formats and display formats.

For authoring, I'd strongly recommend either LaTeX or DocBook, not
necessarially in that order.

Both allow you to output content in multiple formats, including PS, PDF,
HTML, and XHTML directly, and text (usually dumped from HTML)
indirectly.  I use a similar trick to produce my resume in HTML format
("native") then convert it to PS, PDF, and txt (see the URL below and do
the math ;-).

> p.s. i would be happy to get some hints on good viewers. should be
> pure console/X/gtk viewers. e.g., is there a substitute for acrobat
> reader that does also do well?

For console, more, less, and most do pretty well.

There are console viewers which will allow viewing of graphical formats
(e.g.:  PS, PDF), usually through the framebuffer device.  I haven't
used these, and don't generally find the concept paletable.

There are a number of high-quality text-based HTML viewers, including
w3m, lynx, and links.

For X viewers, gv will handle both PS and PDF formats.  xpdf does PDF
formats, including handling some advanced features such as links.  There
are numerous graphical HTML browsers.

Peace.