dsproxy (was Re: XMMS and Galeon (with Flash) at the same time?)

Damon Muller <dm-debian-user@empire.net.au> wrote on 01/12/2001 (13:55) :
> Quoth Preben Randhol,
> > My little sister is complaining that Galeon doesn't work. I found the
> > problem to be that she is playing music with XMMS and entering pages
> > that uses flash animation, galeon will hang because flash won't accept
> > that it cannot get /dev/dsp.
> >
> > I was wondering if somebody has some kind of trick so that my sister can
> > avoid this problem?
>
> This is a known bug in mozilla in it's interaction with the flash plugin
> (or maybe vice versa).
>
> Esound, as someone suggested, will not solve the problem.
>
> The work-around I used to use was just hit pause on xmma for a second
> or two, and the browser will continue loading the site normally. The
> work-around that I currently use is to remove the flash plugin.
>
> I know of no other solution. Interestingly, this is the improved
> behaviour. Previously, mozilla would not load while the sound device was
> in use. Now it's just when it's trying to load the flash plugin when
> it's needed.
>
> BTW, if anyone has a user_pref for mozilla that disables the dialog box
> asking if I was to download the flash plugin, I'd love to know about it.

Would dsproxy solve the problem? I found this description, but the link
is not working:
 dsproxy emulates an OSS device that "virtualizes" itself so each UID
 that opens /dev/dsp gets its own private sound device. URL:
 http://arjuna.linux-workshop.com/dsproxy/dsproxy-current.tgz

preben
--
 ()   Join the worldwide campaign to protect fundamental human rights.
'||}