Re: XMMS and Galeon (with Flash) at the same time?

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 11:01:11PM +0800, Paolo Falcone wrote:

> Preben Randhol wrote:
>
> >My little sister is complaining that Galeon doesn't work. I found the
> >problem to be that she is playing music with XMMS and entering pages
> >that uses flash animation, galeon will hang because flash won't accept
> >that it cannot get /dev/dsp.
>
> As in XMMS locking /dev/dsp?
>
> >I was wondering if somebody has some kind of trick so that my sister >can avoid this problem?
>
> I don't know if Galeon supports esd, though. There's an esd plugin
> for XMMS which would enable multiple streaming across a single device
> among esd-supporting apps.

You could just get a sound card the supported multiple opens and this
would never happen to you again. I use a sblive with the oss emu10k1
driver. It works great, supports multiple opens and I never, ever have an
issue where something wont play sound related to /dev/dsp being locked.
ALSA works great with it also. You can have esd, artsd and regular oss
programs running all at once. Itsa nice card and the value editions are
downright cheap. Plus they're really easy to setup. You dont usually need
anything other than insmod.

Oh, and you can finally do some environmental audio with them now.

Just an option. Sometimes its less hassle to just buy your way out of a
problem.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/Mental.asc