Re: NIC Netgear FA311 : how do i make it work ?

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 10:51:15AM +0100, spear wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> It seems that the drivers delivered with the mainboard are "
> Slackware/Redhat " designed ... I found another one, a natsemi.c file, but i
> never had to manage anything like this : how should i proceed ? What do i
> need installed to use it ?
>
> Thanks in advance !
>
> Mathias

Ignore all the drivers on the disk.

Recompile your kernel with the natsemi card driver set as a module. Then
simply reboot, set up /etc/network/interfaces with something along the
lines of:
	auto eth0
	iface eth0 inet static
	        address 192.168.1.2
	        network 192.168.1.0
	        netmask 255.255.255.0
	        broadcast 192.168.1.255
	        gateway 127.0.0.1
(obviously adjusting as necessary), and then run modconf and load the
module.

Note that gateway is critical as it determines the routing of packets
going out of your machine. You may well need to initially use the route
command to display the routing tables and/or modify them.

HTH,

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman