Re: creating an ISO image of a cd.

#include <hallo.h>
John Griffiths wrote on Sun Dec 02, 2001 um 06:08:42PM:

> >cat: /dev/cdrom: Input/output error

Check the size of the image. ISO specification allows the last 2 sectors (iirc
4.6kB) to be not readable - they containa run-out data, which mastering or
copying CD recorder uses to stop the writting process.

To check, mount your image somewhere with -o loop and try something like:

tar c /mounted/image/ | wc

and look for error messages.

> that's an ambitious use of cat...

Blah. dd makes the same read and write operations as can&shell in this case.

> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/cd.iso

better append conv=noerror

> pretty sure u wanted /cdrom unmounted when you do it, but try it both ways

Blah. The data is readonly, mount status of it does not affect data.

> dd is much better at raw data imaging.

Blah. The only advantages of dd are options to skip unreadable data change the
block size on reading/writting, but the last one is mostly managed my kernel
in the best way.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.