Re: timezones and time setting

On Sun, Dec 02, 2001 at 13:01:29 +1030, David Purton wrote:
> Is there a how-to or reference somewhere that explains the whole
> timezone/time stting thing?

Not that I'm aware of.

> There are lots of points which I don't quite follow...
>
> like when I should use the (numerous) various different commands for
> setting the time.

Probably the only one that is directly relevant to your situation is
hwclock(8). Programs and packages like rdate and in particular ntpdate and
xntp are important if you want to fetch the time from or keep your time in
sync with a remote system with presumably a more accurate clock (e.g.
coupled to an atom clock).

Linux deals with two clocks: the system clock, maintained by the kernel, and
the hardware clock (the BIOS clock). hwclock can be used to set one from the
other.

> Is linux supposed to automatically adjust for daylight saving times,

It is, provided you keep your hardware (BIOS) clock in UTC.

> if auto - how do I make it happen

Run tzconfig to configure your timezone. Run "hwclock --utc --set" to set
the BIOS clock. Transfer that time to the system clock using "hwclock --utc
--hctosys". Ensure you have "UTC=yes" in /etc/default/rcS.

HTH,
Ray
--
The Linux movement has been independent of anything Microsoft is doing. It's
one of those cosmic movements in the industry, like the emergence of the