Re: Is everyone else seeing duplicates?

On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 06:22:07PM -0600, DvB wrote:
> ben <benfoley@rcn.com> writes:

> > > The list looks normal to me.  I'd guess it's your postfix.
> >
> > after your reply, i'm seeing doubles for posts from Warren Layton and DVB.
> > another post after that is a single.
> >

> You probably got two copies of my reply to the galeon post because gnus
> replies to list and sender by default. This is, I assume, so that the
> people you're responding to will be sure to see your response... which
> makes sense to me.

I remember someone educating me on this some time ago.

From mutt I can just press L to do a list reply.  This means that the
reply will go to the list an optionally the sender will be sent a copy
if they had set the Mail-Followup-To: header.  This gives people the
option of making it so that they will receive a cc if they asked for it.

It seems to work OK for me.  There are certainly times when I reply to a
message by pressing L and mutt automatically sets it so that the mail
goes back to the sender and the list.  But mostly it just goes to the
list since most people are subscribed and don't need a cc - so they
haven't asked their mail program to set the Mail-Followup-To: header.

Mutt allows you to tell it which lists you are subscribed to and it will
set this header for you.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers.
Mark.