Re: root login problems

jerry wrote:

after upgrading from progeny to woody over the last few days, I am unable to log into the computer as root user, fails as auth failure, I can login as regular user and then SU to root, the password is accepted and I am root with all priveledges. I have run passwd root and entered the new password with the verification being accepted, so I think that's not the problem, but I don't know. I am looking for some place to start troubleshooting
Thank you
Jerry

If you are trying to login as root through gdm , look at the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file. Root login is disallowed for security reasons. Also the same for xdm and kdm, I think.

Can you login as root using one of the virtual terminals?

--
Jerome