Re: Another off-topic -- EXT3 question

* Karsten M. Self (kmself@ix.netcom.com) [011201 20:51]:
(hallstevenson@mindspring.com) wrote:
> > I already tried mount as you mention. It basically looks exactly
> > like /etc/mtab...
> >
> > /dev/hdb6 on / type auto (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro 1 )
> > /dev/hdbon /boot type ext3 (rw                                     )
>
> How about cat /proc/mounts?

Yes, that does tell me what I wanted. You snipped that part of my
message when you replied to it though...

> I discourage the practice of mounting system partitions with type
> 'auto'.

Okay, why ?? I'm open to reason. I seem to recall that this page,
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html, says to use
'auto'. I have to trust their opinion there... (btw, the page/server
seems to be misconfigured at the moment... I'm getting a 'Forbidden'
message)

> Specify what you want. If you get it, great, if you don't, fix the
> problem.

In this case, the ext3 developers are correct. It *does* work correctly
in this case.

Regards
Hall