PPP in Kernel Module

Hi,

I am building a 2.4.14 kernel to use PPP (pppd) and have selected the PPP
options as modules. This is due to me installing the drivers and software
for my Alcatel USB modem. I seem to have got the USB hotplugging and syncing
of the modem working ok. I am now having problems with pppd as I have
upgraded to a PPPoA aware ppp version. This is on a shiny new Debian 2.2
install with only the Alcatel stuff and a new kernel on.

My "make xconfig" options for PPP are:-

PPP (point-to-point protocol) support [m]
   PPP multilink support (EXPRIMENTAL) [n]
   PPP filtering [disabled]
   PPP support for aync serial ports [m]
   PPP support for sync tty ports [n]
   PPP Deflate compression [m]
   PPP BSD-Compress compression [m]
   PPP over Ethernet (EXPERIMENTAL) [n]
   PPP over ATM (EXPERIMENTAL) [m]

This process has added the following files to the
/lib/modules/2.4.14/kernel/drivers/net directory:

ppp_generic.o
ppp_async.o
ppp_deflate.o

When I try to run "pppd" manually though, I get the message:

(null): This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could be because
the PPP kernel module could not be loaded, or because PPP was not
included in the kernel configuration. If PPP was included as a
module, try '/sbin/modprobe -v ppp'. If that fails, check t

if I "modprobe ppp" it tells me "Can't locate module ppp", which is fair
enough, as neither can I! :)

I do have a ppp_generic.o file though!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am stuck, can anyone suggest where I am going wrong, my goal is to run
"pppd". Before I upgraded to ppp_2.4.0-3 pppd didnt gripe about not having
ppp set up. Although, that was with kernel 2.2.19 and that kernel DID have a
ppp.o file, I can find that one!

Cheers,

Ben

---

b e n @ j a v a c o d e r . n e t   -  w w w . j a v a c o d e r . n e t

"The reader is entertained by the journey of another, but the writer is the
changer of worlds"
- D'Ni proverb