qmail-src update

Attached is the specifics of what I was able to do in order to get the qmail deb package to work so far. It's not perfect, but at this point in time, I have no conflicts or errors in the Deb Packages, exim is gone, and qmail is running.

My DNS is another matter, but that's for tomorrow, I think.
Title: Installing Qmail on Debian

Installing Qmail on Debian

Steps I took to set up qmail on debian distro (2.2r2 - testing)

exim and qmail packages conflict. So first you have to remove the exim package. This in turn removes a bunch of others:

I went ahead and used dselect to add the ucspi-tcp-src and qmail-src packages

Next, you have to

build-ucspi-tcp
and
build-qmail

build-ucspi-tcp
This went with the defaults without incident
build-qmail
This started out OK, but the dependencies are toast!

Fixing for qmail installation

Start with dpkg -i --force-depends qmail_1.03-20_i386.deb and you die because of the inetd.conf entries. Fix this by editing /etc/inetd.conf to remove the line for smtp. Do not comment (#) it out as that's not what it says to do!

try doing it again...

got pissed and tried: dpkg -P --force-depends exim because qmail was still crying about exim shit. After this I nuke the /etc/ppp and /etc/exim directories as well.

tried: dpkg -i --force-depends qmail_1.03-20_i386.deb again and this time it worked. I had a hard error that went like:

Sorry, I couldn't find your host's canonical name in DNS. You will have to set up /var/qmail/control/me yourself. Starting mail-transfer agent: qmail.

I think it's working, But I have to fix my DNS first. exim is not purged from the system and I can remove the holds (=) from the above listed packages and they work, so far.

Last modified: Sat Dec 1 12:47:19 EST 2001