Re: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

> Dell Latitude CPi D300XT 128MB Ram PII 300Mhz
>
> lilo.conf
>
> vga=1
> append="apm=on"
> default=Linux22
>
> # kernel 2.4.12
> image=/vmlinuz
>     initrd=/boot/initrd
>     label=LinuxNew
>     read-only
>
> # kernel 2.4.10
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>     initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.10-686
>     label=LinuxOld
>     read-only
>
> # kernel 2.2.18pre
> image=/vmlinuz.2.2
>     label=Linux22
>     read-only
>

> Well, shoot. I cleaned up my lilo.conf, found a
> mistake when going over it this time and presto, the
> 2.4.12 kernel booted and the modules loaded but not
> pcmcia. Well, I take that back, the pcmcia_core module
> loaded, but not the module for my pcmcia NIC.
>
> In fact, here are the modules loaded by 2.2.18pre21
>
> af_packet
> xirc2ps_cs
> serial_cs
> ds
> i82365
> pcmcia_core
> serial
> nfs
> lockd
> sunrpc
> smbfs
> vfat
> unix
>
> And here are the modules loaded by 2.4.12
>
> pcmcia_core
> nfs
> lockd
> sunrpc
> smbfs
> vfat
> fat
> rtc
> unix
> ide-disk
> ide-probe-mod
> ide-mod
> ext2
>
> I tried to insmod i82365.o from
> /lib/modules/2.4.12-686/pcmcia and got "i82365.o:
> unresolved symbol isapnp_find_dev_R7651deff" . I got
> similar messages when try to load the other missing
> modules.
>
> =====
> -
> rascharles@yahoo.com
> Hacking is a "Good Thing!"
> See http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

No sure but looks like something to do with the fact that 2.4.x has
Plug and Play support built in.
Is there some module or kernel config option like isapnp or pnp?
Maybe you got the isapnp tools which should be removed or configured
otherwise for a 2.4.x kernels?
Isn't there any reference in the kernel documentation? Perhaps there is
a reference in the isapnp package docs?

My 2.2.19pre17 has files that looks related:

[14:33:07 tmp]$ ls /lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/*pnp*
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/modules.isapnpmap
/lib/modules/2.2.19pre17/modules.pnpbiosmap
[14:34:14 tmp]$

Yet I have never touched them and I do not know how they are related.

Hopefully someone else on debian-user can fill in the missing parts
better then I can.
--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka (replace these parenthesis with @) bezeqint,