Extended partition problem on dual Linux/Win98

Dear sir,
    I losted my data when I install Linux with Windows 98. It occure,
because Debian installation create the Extended partition instead Linux
Extended partition.
    I have 2 harddisk, 1st for OS and 2nd for data. I had 2 OS in the 1st
one, Win98 Thai and Win98 Japanese. When I install Debian, I want to
seperate kernel, data and swap. But, Linux allow only 4 primary partition.
Debian installation created /dev/hda3 as Linux for kernel and /dev/hda4 as
Extended(type 5 not type 85), /dev/hda5 as Linux swap, and /dev/hda6 as
Linux.
    The installation process had no problem. When I reboot to use Windows98,
Windows scandisk report error on my 2nd harddisk(extended partitions) and I
losted the FAT. The drive letter increase one more. After check many things,
event format(error bad partition table), recreate partition. I found that,
DOS think, the Extended partition on the 1st harddisk has a logical drive
but DOS's fdisk cannot see it.
    After I use Linux's fdisk to change /dev/hda4 to be Linux Extended
partition. The problem was solved.
    I think, Debian installation should create Linux Extended partition if
there are all Linux partition inside it.

Somchai LIMSIRORATANA