Re: Linux/Windows Universal Benchmark

<quote who="">
> Hi, I want to benchmark my desktop system running in Linux (Gnome,
> XF86 v3.x,  2.4.5 kernel) against itself running Win98se. Is there
> a benchmark program  that will work in both enviornments to give me
> an accurate benchmark?

not really. the 2 systems are so totally different it will
vary very widely. you can test specific areas of performance
like cpu, memory access, filesystem access. but i do not
believe there is any broad range benchmark that can treat
both platforms fairly. libraries, compilers, level of optimization
in the code, quality of the drivers, among other things can
totally screw benchmark results.

even compiling the same program(like seti@home as another
poster mentioned) for both platforms can still vary widely
with results. im sure even compiling the kernel for an
older arch(eg 486) and running seti@home will affect
seti's performance on a p3.

so no..no fair way to benchmark the 2 systems in the mannor
you seem to be wanting. bout as close as you can get is
use 1 system for a week, then use the other system for
a week and see which feels faster.

nate