Re: Need help building php4

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:00:12PM -0800, jennyw wrote:
> Thanks! Actually, the thing I'm most unclear about is what all the output
> files are and where they go.  I saw on another Web page that php4 is the
> only file that matters, so I'll try that this afternoon. But it seems that a
> lot of other files are generated, too.

typically, a lot of intermediate files are being created (e.g. for
every source file (.c) there'll be an object file (.o) ). The configure
process itself also creates a couple of temporary files. You don't need
to worry about all those...

Very generally speaking -- if we leave out any config and documentation
files for the moment -- the target of the build process will usually be
one or more of the following: (1) a binary executable (typically named
after the package), (2) a static library file (extension .a) or (3) a
dynamic library, also called shared object file (thus the extension
.so). Library filenames by convention start with "lib".

If I understood you correctly, you're trying to build the dynamic php4
module to be loaded into apache. In this case you probably only need
the "libphp4.so" shared-object file. After a successful build you can
fish that out of the ".lib" subdirectory (IIRC), that should've been
created in the source directory while building. Then simply replace the
other file of the same name (the one which refuses to work) with this
newly created one -- it should reside in /usr/lib/apache/1.3/.

The php4 file you mentioned above is the stand-alone PHP binary for use
in conventional CGIs. I guess this is not the one you're interested in ;)

If you'd rather like to try the automatic install, after having set up
the appropriate destination directories, but are still feeling a little
unsure about where stuff will be installed into, you can always try the
generic "dry run" facility of make (option -n), i.e. "make -n install"
(instead of the usual "make install").  This is supposed to cause make
to just print out what it *would* do without actually modifying
anything...  It doesn't always work as desired under every circumstance,
though (i.e. if in intermediate steps some files need to be put in
their proper places to be able to continue with subsequent installation
steps...), so YMMV.  But even then, you'll get a rough idea of where
stuff will be put, when looking at the directory names in the commands
being printed during the dry run...

Cheers

--
Erdmut Pfeifer
science+computing ag

-- Bugs come in through open windows. Keep Windows shut! --