Need help building php4

I've run into some problems with php4 and it's been suggested I recompile
php4.  The problem is ... I've never done this before, and reading the
directions is leaving me with a few questions. First, am I getting the right
files? I typed "apt-get source php4" and then found the files in /etc/apt.

The instructions said to run configure in the php4 source directory which I
did (to compile the dynamic module). When this is done, the script says that
it's the CGI version ... I don't think this is what I want ...  What I want
is to be able to use mod_php4, like what I have currently (except that the
current install has a few issues, hence the recompile: e.g. it says that
squirrel mail is redefining functions when it's not).

Anyway, I went on and ran make and then make install. It seems that the
target directory is the same as the source directory.  I'm not really sure
where to go from here ... My first thought is to change the build directory
in the Make file so only the output files end up there. I can't figure out
how to get configure to do this ... reading the file, I'm guessing the way
to do this is to change top_builddir in Makefile. However, there's also a
builddir ... what do I do with that?

And then where do I put the files afterwards?

Of course, I may be heading in a completely wrong direction, so feedback
would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jen