Re: inetd vs xinetd

* nate (debian-user@aphroland.org) [011130 12:23]:
> <quote who="Ken Irving">
>
> > I haven't used xinetd, but just read (1) that it'll reread
> > its config files from a USR2 signal.  Does that not work, or
> > perhaps is it not sufficient?
>
> woah. yeah that worked :) thanks!
>
> in most other programs ive used -12 always has the program
> exit .....most useful for netscape..
>
> cool! now to modify the init scripts so when it restarts
> it does a -12 instead of stop and start

Does your /etc/init.d/xinetd not have the following?

    reload)
        echo -n "Reloading internet superserver configuration: xinetd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --signal 10 --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/xinetd
        echo "."
        ;;
    force-reload)
        echo -n "Forcefully reloading internet superserver configuration: xinetd"
        start-stop-daemon --stop --signal 12 --quiet --oknodo --exec /usr/sbin/xinetd
        echo "."
        ;;

You shouldn't have to modify it at all; just use
/etc/init.d/xinetd reload

That always worked for me. That way you can also use restart to actually
do a restart if you need to (for whatever reason) but use reload in the
more general case of reloading the conf file.

good times,
Vineet

--
Satan laughs when      #  "I disapprove of what you say, but I will
we kill each other.    #   defend to the death your right to say it."