Re: inetd vs xinetd

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 03:20:38PM -0800, nate wrote:

> in my experience .....
>
> pros to xinetd:
> cons:
> - any change in xinetd requires a RESTART. kill -HUP won't do it. and
> this can cause problems if you have sockets in use(e.g. you run a mail
> server). sometimes ive had to shut xinetd down and all services for 20
> minutes waiting for sockets to clear, inetd doesn't care it just fires
> up anyways.- uses it's own hosts allow/deny that is inside xinetd.conf, which you
> have to restart xinetd to change anyways so....

I haven't used xinetd, but just read (1) that it'll reread
its config files from a USR2 signal.  Does that not work, or
perhaps is it not sufficient?

Just curious.

Ken

(1) ...in an article linked from lwn.net, somewhere on IBM
    developerWorks, titled: "Cultured Perl: Using the xinetd
    program for system administration", by T. Zlatanov.

--
Ken Irving <jkirving@mosquitonet.com>