Re: Custom Kernel Confusion --- What to do?

%% "Costa, Todd (DMH)" <Todd.Costa@dmh.state.ma.us> writes:

  ct> 1.  ( ) text/plain          (*) text/html

Please use plain text only on mailing lists, thanks!

  ct> I have just finished a custom kernel the debian way (I think,
  ct> "make-kpkg", etc, "dpkg -i"). And now I want to get rid of the old
  ct> kernel (references). And I am not sure if I should just delete
  ct> them with out asking first some experienced debian users.

Since you installed the previous kernel with the package manager, you
should definitely remove it with the package manager as well.

For example:

  # apt-get remove kernel-image-2.2.18pre21

  ct> I think what's confusing me is the 2.2.18pre21 file being
  ct> executible and the 2.2.19 file is not.

That doesn't matter in the slightest.  The kernel is not an executable;
whether the execute bit is set is totally irrelevant.  Heck, it doesn't
even have to be readable!  (LILO _might_ need it to be readable when you
run "lilo", but I'm not sure about that).

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools