Setting up devfs

Hi,

I've recently totally reinstalled my system from scratch after losing my
/home partition. I'm running kernel 2.4.14 with a XFS patch and xfs
partitions (except /boot).

I've also compile devfs support in the kernel and installed devfsd.

Now, I've red the documentation on the kernel-source and the HOWTO, but
something isn't right here. devfs apparently is working because during boot
I see some messages that refer to the HD as
/dev/disks/lots-of-letters-and-numbers). I also receive messages while
connecting my USB scanner - don't
know if that's devfs though.

The thing is, my /dev is the same as always. It doesn't have /dev/ide or any
of the devsf directories. Its the same splattered 3232323 files as always.

If I do $devfsd /dev it complains that there is no .devfsd in the
directory...

I have not touch fstab or anything, I simply compiled into the kernel and
installed devfsd.

Is there some extra steps that I need to make ? Pointers to the right
documentation and general advice are always welcome :)

thanks,

fsm

--
Frederico S. Muñoz
Cap Gemini Ernst & Young : fmunoz@capgemini.pt

**
Ever noticed something? Unix comes with compilers. Windows comes with
Solitaire.
**
  -Adep