Re: exim: misleading package description?

On Thursday 29 November 2001 10:03 pm, cmasters wrote:

> Well now I'm confused yet again. All the documentation that I've read
> states that some sort of mail-transport-agent is required in order to
> send/receive mail. Sendmail was ornery in setup, so I installed exim (which
> in turn removed sendmail). Are you saying that I don't ~need~ a
> mail-transport-agent? I have several users (roommates) on this box and
> still need to get my syslogs sent to me - as they are now.
>
> Please clarify.

No -- you don't have to use exim.  I don't.  However, if several people are
collecting mail off the same box, then it's probably easier and smarter to
use exim instead of procmail.

My setup is as follows:

ISP --> fetchmail --> procmail --> mbox --> kmail folders

Note that procmail (with the formail option) is essentially behaving as an
MTA replacement.  It's not an elegant solution, especially for multiple users
on the same box, but it works fine for me since I'm on a single-user box.

> > So, my advice is to pick one way that seems to make the most sense and
> > stick with it.  Once you get more comfortable with linux, you can go back
> > and change things if you want.  But if you keep jumping around to
> > different configuration options, then you'll continue to spin your wheels
> > and never get anything done.

Again, you don't have to do it the way I do.  There are multiple ways of
achieving the same objective.  If you're already fairly far down the exim
path, then by all means, stay the course and get it working.  Just because
this is how I collect my mail doesn't mean it's the right (or wrong) way to
do it.

--kurt