Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 06:36:32PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya mark
>
> are you trying to detect that files has changed
> or are you trying to protect files from being changed ??
Well, I was really trying to weigh up the pros / cons of both.  It
seemed to me from first appearances that something like LIDS may be so
hard to configure that it would be almost unusable unless you were some
kind of expert.  So with that in mind I was thinking that something like
Tripwire may be more for me.

Basically wanted others opinions - especially on how hard LIDS is to set
up and manage.
> i'd also make sure the kernel is protected against buffer overflow
> too .. apply things like ow1 kernel patch and libsafe....
> ( simple 5 minute things to minimize lots of potential headaches

I see that ow1 patch is only for 2.2 kernels.  I am running a 2.4 kernel
so that I can get the iptables firewall stuff, so I guess that rules
that one out?

The libsafe stuff looks really interesting.  Will it give the same
protection that openwall would have, but in a different way?

Why doesn't the kernel coders just put all the stuff that was fixed in
the openwall project into their kernels?  Am I missing something here?
I would have thought that anything that fixes any buffer overflow
vulnerabilities in the kernel would be wanted by everyone. ??

Thanks for advice.
Mark.