Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

hi ya mark

are you trying to detect that files has changed
or are you trying to protect files from being changed ??

tripwire/aide and other ids will tell you that files have been
changed... ( a little too late in my book ...

lids tries to prevent you and [h/cr]ackers from changing
files its supposed to be protecting...
	a simple "attr +i /etc/passwd" will prevent it from
	being changed too

i'd also make sure the kernel is protected against buffer overflow
too .. apply things like ow1 kernel patch and libsafe....
( simple 5 minute things to minimize lots of potential headaches

-- kernel patches
http://www.linux-sec.net/Harden/kernel.gwif.html

-- IDS stuff
http://www.Linux-Sec.net/IDS/
	-- detecting that they have gotten in is kinda too late ???

-- spend your time hardening the box up front and protecting data
http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Harden/

c ya
alvin