Re: Is LIDS a good idea?

On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 08:41:25PM -0600, John Patton wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 11:31:08AM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > I just stumbled upon this LIDS (Linux Intrusion Detection/Defense
> > System)  see: http://www.lids.org
> >
> > I just wanted to know if anyone is using this and what they think of it.
>
> I've been using lids for a while. It has the potential of giving you
> quite good security in the case you do get broken into (ie- it would be
> damn near impossible to install a usable root kit). It is also fairly
> easy to work with, all things considered. But it does come at a price:
> developing a system that is both secure and functional (even functioning
> at all) is tricky and a good deal of work.
Hmmm.  I thought that was the case from reading the documentation on the
LIDS site.  Sounds as though you really need to know just which things
to protect - 'cause if you forget something then your security is only
as good as your weakest point.

> Having said that, I feel that lids is a pretty good product. For
> example, one of the big problem areas in using mandatory access
> controls (MACs) is system startup. With lids you can choose exactly
> when to start enforcing the controls, which is nice since that allows
> you to get most of your system up and running before activating lids.
> After that you can turn the access controls on or off by giving a
> passphrase, so if you need to install packages or whatever you can
> just turn them off for a bit. One really nice feature of lids when
> doing that is that permissions are relaxed for that tty only... access
> controls are still enforced for all other users.
So you could relax the permissions, do your apt-get upgrade and then
re-inforce things.  That sounds OK.

> I recommend giving it a shot if you are interested in strong security
> and are willing to put in a fair amount of work for it.

Thanks for the information.  I noticed that it is essentially a kernel
patch and an admin binary.  I am running 2.4.14 kernel on a potato
system using Adrian Bunk's packages.  I can figure out how to do the
kernel-patching (I think having never done before), but can the admin
binary be compiled for potato?  The dependencies listed on the debian
site for lidsadm-2.2.19 are only debconf so I assume that it would
compile on a potato system.

Also, the openwall patch that Alvin Oga recommended seems to only be for
2.2 series kernels - so I guess that is not possible for a 2.4 kernel.
And I really want to run a 2.4 kernel for the iptables firewall stuff.
What is your opinion on the openwall stuff?

Regards.
Mark.