Re: sshd problem

<quote who="tom schuetz">
> I can no longer ssh to my Debian box, or even ssh localhost on it.
>
> It worked fine for weeks; I'm not sure what I might have changed to
> mess it up.
>
> On startup and shutdown, there are still "Starting" and "Stopping
> sshd" messages.

check logfiles ...like /var/log/daemon.log

also telnet to localhost on port 22 see if it connects then
drops, or if it says connection refused .or what..

and you can try to stop sshd and start it in debug mode

sshd -dD

to load debug and have it not fork to the background so messages
are shown on the screen.

nate