Re: Games - A question

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Keith O'Connell wrote:

> Assuming we are against non-free software and would not contaminate or
> machines with closed-source code, what is the panels view on games?

You're pretty well limited in that case to roguelike games, classic Unix
BSDgames, plus original Quake and earlier iD works, as well as most things
based on CrystalSpace.

> I was talking to a friend about the Alpha Centari port by Loki, it is
> for payment binary only as I understand it. Is this an anathema
> because there is no source code? Could it be that it is sensible

Not to me, maybe to others. :}

> because a game is an end in itself, unlike an editor, compiler or
> browser which are tools that it is reasonable to want to modify?

There are more people that modify games than modify compilers :}

To me, I certainly consider free software to be superior to the ordinary
type, but wouldn't refuse to use a program just because it isn't free.

> If the source code is there then in a multiplier game, how can you be
> sure that your opponent has not tilted his client to enhance his game
> play?

You can't :}

You can ensure some consistency with external authentication tools such as
Punkbuster (if the game supports it), and you can make sure that all
important data is stored on a trusted system.  Generally there is no
perfect solution to this problem however :}  (Even in the case of
closed-source games you cannot ensure this).