fonts - gtk, galeon, gvim (and unicode)

I've been doing some playing (and reading) with with fonts in gvim and
gtk in order to try and get unicode stuff to display right.  I have
the UTF-8-demo.txt file (downloadable somewhere, or I can send it to
you if you like) that contains a bunch of different language and
symbol things from unicode.  If I open this file with galeon and
specify utf-8 as the encoding, everything looks right (aside from a
bit of horizontal alignment here and there).  However when I open it
in gvim many characters can't be displayed or are displayed
incorrectly.

How can I determine which fonts and fontsets galeon is using?  My
current gvim config has *-*-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-c-*-*-*
specified as the fontset.  This example came from the vim helpfiles
and shows more characters (though not all of them correctly) than what
I had tried before (something similar to
-b&h-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-*-120-*-*-m-*-*-*).  (BTW, I
would also like the fonts to look nice, but I am willing to experiment
to get there)

TIA!
-D

--

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own
understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your

        Proverbs 3:5-6