Re: panel launchers and environment

On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:32:30PM -0800, Eric G. Miller wrote:
| On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 22:54:26 -0500
| dman <dsh8290@rit.edu> wrote:
|
| > I have a gnome panel launcher for gvim.  For the command it simply
| > says 'gvim'.  I have ash as /bin/sh and /bin/bash is my shell.  In
| > ~/.bashrc I have
| >
| > export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
|
| Thing is, when X starts up it doesn't read your ~/.bashrc.  When you
| run an xterm, bash is fired up which then reads the ~/.bashrc.  The
| disconnect between the two environments is somewhat annoying, but
| can be easily dealt with by creating an ~/.xsession file that either
| export that variable or sources the ~/.bashrc.  Certain display
| managers also can set Language variables (but might be limited).
|
| #! /bin/sh
| export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
| WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/window-manager
| exec $WINDOW_MANAGER
|
| Or some such...

I tried that (after you suggested it) :

#!/bin/bash

# (use bash to read .bashrc :-))
echo "`date`" >> ~/LOG
echo "$LANG"  >> ~/LOG
echo ""       >> ~/LOG

gnome-session

In the log file I see that LANG is set properly, but I still get the
same results with panel launchers.  It must be that gnome-session does
its own thing wrt the environment, but I don't see any mention of it
in the manpage.

Anyways, I did some more reading in the vim help files on multibyte
stuff.  (the fontset looks like a solution to a problem I hadn't
reasearched yet)  There is a "language" variable that I can set in my
.vimrc, so I should be able to solve the issue, although only for
gvim.

Thanks,
-D

--