Re: System Time Problems.

On Tue, 2001-11-27 at 17:21, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   For some reason our Debain server thinks the BIOS clock is set to
>   UTC, when it is really set to local time (PST).
>
>   So when I set the timezone to Pacific/US, it offsets, based on the BIOS time,
>   -8, making the system 8 hours behind.
>
>   How do I change the settings that tell the system what the BIOS clock
>   is set to. The only time i remember this question being asked is during
>   the install process.

Stolen from the tzconfig manpage (apropos time made me go looking here
got lucky with my first shot).

       The Debian GNU/Linux system gains its  knowledge  of  this
       setting  from  the  file /etc/default/rcS.  This file con­
       tains either the line UTC=yes, which  indicates  that  the
       hardware  clock  is  set  to  UTC, or it contains the line
       UTC=no, which declares the hardware clock is set to  Local
       Time. If these setting are correct, and the hardware clock
       is truely set as indicated, then  configuring  the  proper
       timezone  for  the  machine will cause the proper date and
       time to be displayed. If these are not set correctly,  the
       the  reported time will be quite incorrect. See hwclock(8)
       for more details on this topic.

Running /etc/init.d/hwclockfirst.sh restart should correct the clock
once you update the file.

I don't know what package to reconfigure with dpkg to do this.  Perhaps
someone more enlightened can answer that.

--mike