Re: alternatives to minicom in debian stable or testing?

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, nate wrote:

> i was wondering if anyone knew of good alternatives to
> minicom that are available in testing or woody(or i suppose
> 3rd party). looking for something with better ANSI support
> and needs to support serial connections. don't need modem
> support(though with serial i suppose its standard). mainly
> for null modem connections to various different devices.
> also just wanted a term package that was more geared towards
> serial connections(to servers, routers etc). minicom is
> so modem-oriented.
>
> from what ive seen theres suprisingly few terminal apps
> that support serial port connections from what ive seen.
> even looking at freshmeat doesnt come up with much.
>
> nate

The most sophisticated linux communications program is ckermit.
There is also special attention given to direct serial connection
including instructions for making the appropriate cables.
I don't know why you want or need an ansi terminal emulation rather
than an xterm or vt**  term. What you would do in ckermit is
just make sure that the xterm you are using has an extension
for ansi codes. I don't what linux x terminals have ansi, I
doubt you would have much problem finding an executable of just
such a term program  (or perhaps compiling one). They do exist. Just go
to the usenet terminal group and ask. There is also a very good
kermit news group.