Printer not functioning ~fully~

Greetings,

I'm having difficulty getting my printer to work from applications; I can
print from commands: ie

lpr 'file'
man foo |lpr

I can also print the test page from the Cups web interface. However, I can't
get any applications (Mozilla, GEdit, Klyx) to print from within.

Cups shows the following from the web interface:

Name:     Epson777
Location:
URI Device: /dev/lp0

I'm using the supplied escpl-777.ppd (CUPS+GIMP.print v4.1.4 (en)). I
suspect that my problems have something to so with the "location", but any
time that I have put /var/spool ... or other entries in this field, I am
unable to even print the test page.

The printer shows as "available, wating for jobs" or words to that effect. I
have RM'd and am stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

C. Masters