Re: need "sr_mod" ?

Responding to my own post:
I've found my problem. CD-Writer HOWTO calls for several lines of
pre-install in /etc/modules.conf. One of them requires pre-install of a
module named ide-cd, but in potato there is no such module; all that
stuff is configured into the kernel, so the pre-install fails, and the
install of module ide-scsi fails, and, of course, cdrecord fails. I
remove the offending line and it works!

Paul

Paul E Condon wrote:

> Thanks for the link to qref.sourceforge.net, but I still have problems:
> There is much overlap between what I found in CD-Writing HOWTO and the
> sourceforge link.
> It seems to me from the comparison that sr_mod is an historical
> artifact, and that the module now goes by the name sr.
> PLEASE,if someone knows for sure, one way or the other, email me.
> And, module sr is compiled into the kernel in Debian-2.2rm4, which is
> what I am using.
> The rest of the stuff that the sourceforge document says to do is either
> already there, or I have put it there, including an execution of lilo
> and apt-get install cdrecord.
> But when I run cdrecord -scanbus, I get:
>
> Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Joerg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
> are root.
>
> Of course, I did it as root (at least the last time). I had seen this
> message before on my RedHat installation when I had not installed
> ide-scsi, but now I have done that. What might I be doing wrong? Except
> for this CD writer stuff, mine is very much a plain potato installation.
> What diagnostics might I run?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:33:59PM -0800, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > > I am new to Debian. I have just installed 2.2rm4 from in net. Now I want
> > > to get my CR writer working. I had it working under RedHat 6.2 on this
> >
> > Debian stock kernel has most things in modules.  so you need to activate
> > them.
> >
> > Edit following files:
> >      /etc/lilo.conf  (add append="hdc=ide-scsi", run lilo to activate)
> >      /dev/cdrom      (softlink # cd /dev; ln -sf scd0 cdrom)
> >      /etc/modules    (add "ide-scsi" and "sg".  If needed "sr" after this.)
> >
> > I do not know sr_mod package but scsi cd-rom driver is compiled in
> > as a part of default 2.2 kernel in Debian.
> >
> > More on CD-RW on Debian:
> >  http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/ch-tune.html#s-cdrw
> >
> > --
> > ~\^o^/~~~ ~\^.^/~~~ ~\^*^/~~~ ~\^_^/~~~ ~\^+^/~~~ ~\^:^/~~~ ~\^v^/~~~
> > +  Osamu Aoki <debian@aokiconsulting.com>, GnuPG-key: 1024D/D5DE453D  +
> > +  My debian quick-reference, http://qref.sourceforge.net/quick/               +
> >
> > --
begin:vcard