need "sr_mod" ?

I am new to Debian. I have just installed 2.2rm4 from in net. Now I want
to get my CR writer working. I had it working under RedHat 6.2 on this
same machine. I had gotten it working by following the Quickstart
directions in the CD-Writing HOWTO. Now that doesn't work and I have to
probe a deeper.

I have gone through the steps of the quickstart individually and found
that they call for the installation of a module called "sr_mod". This is
supposed to be support for scsi cdrom devices. I have looked for
"sr_mod" in the package list of dselect and on the package contests list
at www.debian.org. I can't find it in either. Do I need to download the
kernel source and "make modules" or is there a more immediate solution?
(like maybe sr_mod is called something else in Debian ? )

Thanks.

Paul
begin:vcard
n:Condon;Paul E